How to Become a Dog Trainer
Get Certified Through Our Dog Training School
Dog trainers can enjoy a rewarding career. They train dogs, make a difference in dogs’ lives and get paid doing what they love. Certified dog trainers can start their own dog training business, work for an established dog training company, or work in an animal shelter or pet store. If you’re interested in becoming a dog trainer, let Animal Behavior College help you.
As a dog training school, we provide you the education, practical skills and hands-on experience needed to become a dog trainer. As a student, you have the opportunity to study from home and get real work experience within your area.
Dog Trainer School OverviewOur Dog Training Program makes it possible to:
- Take your dog training course online
- Get invaluable hands-on training
- Receive Pet CPR and First Aid Certification
- Experience what it’s like to work with dogs
- Receive ongoing student support
- Invest in a rewarding career with animals
- Receive study materials and ABC polo
- Become an ABC Certified Dog Trainer (ABCDT)
The curriculum for the Dog Obedience Instructor Training Program is broken down into 11 stages that cover topics ranging from basic study of canines to business building tips. Each stage equips you with the knowledge and dog training skills necessary to advance to the externship portion of the dog training program. In stage 10, you can apply everything you’ve learned throughout your dog training course in a real-life setting.
Approved by Industry Leaders
Our Dog Trainer Program is approved for continuing education units (CEUs) by the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT), International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC) and the National Association of Dog Obedience Instructors (NADOI).
Hands-On Training & Mentorship
Hands-on experience is one of the most important factors in getting hired, which is why we include an externship portion in our dog trainer program. During the hands-on portion, you work with a Mentor Trainer who gives you the invaluable real work experience needed to become a professional dog trainer.
Tuition & Financing
Tuition for our Dog Trainer Program ranges from
$3,395 $2,995 – $5,347 USD, depending on your payment arrangement.* This cost covers your textbooks, merchandise and externship. Our Admissions Counselors can help you choose a payment plan that’s right for you.
U.S. Military Spouses May Qualify for Free Tuition!
If you’re a military spouse, you may be eligible for free tuition through Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA). The MyCAA benefit provides up to $4,000 in educational benefits to qualified spouses. Call 800-795-3294 today or submit the form to request more information. We have years of experience with military spouses and are happy to help you through the application process to receive this benefit.
Flexible Hours & In-Home Classroom Experience
The flexibility of our dog training school allows you to study from home at your own pace. Our program is perfect for those leading busy lives since you can take your dog training course online at your convenience. We have an amazing staff of Program Managers who help guide you along in the program. They’re dedicated to helping you succeed in each stage and answering your questions.
Dog Training School Locations Across the U.S. and Canada
Our dog training certification program is available in all 50 U.S. states and every Canadian province. We’re able to offer students in these locations hands-on training due to our growing network of pet industry professionals.
Staff of Professional Dog Trainers
You can rest assured you’re learning from expert dog trainers when you enroll in our dog training school. Founded and operated by award-winning professional dog trainers Steven Appelbaum and Debbie Kendrick, our school for dog trainers is designed to help you succeed. In addition to enrolling in a school built by dog trainers for dog trainers, you’re receiving quality education and support from our Program Managers. Each and every one of our Program Managers has graduated from our school, some of who still pursue continuing education and train dogs in their local communities. If you want to learn more about us, check out our staff.
Dog Trainer Certification
Once you complete your dog training course online, you receive your ABC dog trainer certification as well as the title of Animal Behavior College Dog Trainer (ABCDT). From there, you may choose to apply for the Alumni Association, which has many perks, including updates on the latest pet industry news and discounts. With an ABCDT certification, you can take your dog training career virtually everywhere. Whether you want to work for an animal shelter organization, train dogs at your local pet store or start your own business, there could be many dog training career opportunities available to you as a certified dog trainer from ABC.
Dog Obedience Instructor Training Program Curriculum
Our dog training school curriculum is designed to teach you everything from positive reinforcement dog obedience training philosophies to business building. We bring more than 100 years of professional dog training experience to our program with the goal of helping you become a successful dog trainer. You’ll also become certified in Pet CPR and First Aid.
- Stage 1 Basic Study of Canines: Teaches you basic canine knowledge to provide you a foundation for advanced learning.
- Stage 2 Learning Theory: Explains scientific principles, such as operant and classical conditioning, and numerous other animal behavior training strategies.
- Stage 3 A Trainer’s Toolbox: Introduces you to a number of dog training tools and equipment.
- Stage 4 Training Fundamentals: Covers the history and evolution of dog training techniques as well as introduces you to therapy dogs, service dogs and emotional support animals.
- Stage 5 How to Teach Basic Obedience Cues: Teaches you common dog obedience training cues with step-by-step instructions.
- Stage 6 Learning the Art of Effective Problem Solving: Instructs you how to address common dog behavior problems.
- Stage 7 Safety: Instructs you how to conduct safe and stress-free dog training classes.
- Stage 8 Public Speaking & Teaching Group Courses: Teaches you how to clearly and effectively lead dog training classes through public speaking methods.
- Stage 9 Business Building: Provides you coaching and business advice from our founder Steven Appelbaum.
- Stage 10 Hands-On Externship & Shelter Volunteer: Gives you hands-on training by working under a Mentor Trainer. Provides you animal shelter volunteer experience as well.
- Stage 11 Final Exam & Graduation
Why Become a Certified Dog Trainer?
Dog trainers can benefit from the fact their job has potential. With more than 77 million dogs in the U.S., there is an undeniable demand for dog trainers.1 You can stand out from the competition by getting your dog training certification from Animal Behavior College. By graduating from our program, you’ll have extensive knowledge and hand-on training.
Please note: Animal Behavior College does not guarantee employment after graduation.
*Additional shipping and handling charges may apply.