Become a Certified Cat Trainer
Animal Behavior College’s Cat Training School Offers Locations All Across the U.S. and Canada!
Are you wondering how to train a cat? Is there such a thing as a cat training course? Can you train a cat? You sure can! You can even clicker train a cat. Often when people consider (or research) “how to train your cat”, they focus on trick training. But consider for a moment all the practical and life saving perks of well trained cats. Thousands of pet owners struggle with their new feline friends’ problem behaviors like scratching the furniture, hissing, spraying, biting and more. Unfortunately, when these negative behaviors are not addressed, frustrated owners may end up surrendering their cats to shelters (or worse). Think of the impact you can have on the lives of cats by helping owners learn how to eliminate these problem behaviors through training.
Similar to dogs, cats can be trained with simple cat training commands, positive reinforcement and, if you choose, a clicker. Because felines are known for their independence, people assume cats are hard to train, but positive training methods like rewarding good behavior produce solid results.
Our Cat Training Program offers the convenience of an online cat training course coupled with shelter experience and Pet First Aid and CPR Certification. If you’re interested in turning your love for cats into an animal career, enroll in our cat trainer program today. Learn more about our program by calling 800-795-3294.
The Cat Trainer Course Overview
Our Cat Training Program makes it possible to:
- Get your cat training education online
- Get animal shelter experience
- Receive Pet CPR and First Aid Certification
- Experience what it’s like to work with cats
- Receive ongoing student support
- Invest in an exciting new career
- Receive digital study materials
- Become an ABC Certified Cat Trainer (ABCCT)
Have you ever wondered how to potty train a cat? How to leash train a cat? How to crate train a cat? Our 11-stage program covers a wide range of topics. You’ll learn how to read cat body language like a professional and how to apply your understanding of cat behavior to train them. You will also study different cat breeds and coat types, behavior management and more!
Our certification program is available in all 50 U.S. states and every Canadian province.
Personal Program Manager
After you enroll in our cat trainer course, a Program Manager will guide you through the entire program. Your Program Manager will be a professional cat trainer who is dedicated to helping you succeed. Your Program Manager will be available to you via email and phone 5 days a week.
Tuition & FinancingTuition for our Cat Trainer Program ranges from
A student favorite, the shelter portion of our Cat Training Program provides you the unique opportunity to apply what you’ve learned online in a real-life setting. The hours you spend with cats during your shelter experience will allow you to observe cat behaviors, feline-to-feline interactions and body posturing. Cat handling and feline-to-human bonding may also be part of your shelter experience.
Flexible Hours & In-Home Classroom Experience
ABC’s cat training course is structured to allow even the busiest person the opportunity to become a certified cat trainer in approximately 8 months. The written curriculum and exams are available online, which means you can access everything from the comfort of your home. This also gives you the flexibility to set your own schedule and learn on your own time.
Cat Training School Locations Across the U.S. and Canada
Our cat training certification program is available in all 50 U.S. states and every Canadian province.
Cat Training Career Resources
Career Information and Advice for Cat Trainers from the professionals at Animal Behavior College
Cat Trainer Certification
Upon successful completion of your cat training course and shelter work, you’ll receive your cat trainer certification as well as the title of Animal Behavior College Cat Trainer (ABCCT). Your certification demonstrates your comprehensive knowledge of cat behavior and may give you the advantage over your competitors when applying for jobs or starting your own cat training business. Plus, if you are already a dog trainer, consider how many of your clients have dog and cat blended family households. Adding feline behavior training to your list of available services will make you even more qualified and valuable for hire by clients!
Cat Training Program Curriculum
- Stage 1 A Basic Overview of Cats: Covers feline characteristics, cat breeds and coat types, and cat socialization and development periods.
- Stage 2 Learning Theories and the Feline Mind: Introduces you to cat psychology, behavior and communication.
- Stage 3 Cat Training Tools, Behavior Modification Products & Essential Cat Care Items: Describes various cat training tools and explains cat care essentials.
- Stage 4 Preventing Unwanted Behavior: Explains why and how prevention can steer kittens away from unwanted behavior.
- Stage 5 Basic Cat Training: Teaches you training cues to get a cat to sit, down, and off to name a few.
- Stage 6 Cat Behavior Management and Treatment: Explains why cats engage in certain behaviors, such as cat spraying, and teaches you how to manage them.
- Stage 7 Cat Nutrition and Basic Care: Provides you detailed knowledge on cat care, including health and grooming.
- Stage 8 Safety Concerns, Techniques & Practices: Instructs you on proper cat safety protocols, such as cat-proofing a home and handling reactive cats.
- Stage 9 Business Building: Covers business building tips to help you start a cat training business upon graduation.
- Stage 10 Shelter Experience & Pet First Aid and CPR Certification: Gives you the opportunity to spend time in an animal facility and observe cat behavior as a volunteer.
- Stage 11 Final Exam & Graduation
From Cat Lover to Cat Trainer
Turn your love for cats into an exciting cat training career by becoming an ABC Certified Cat Trainer. Cat behaviorist training will allow you to work with cats and their owners, molding them into well behaved, functional and socialized members of any household family. Help keep cats in their forever homes with happy pet owners and their families.
Become a certified cat trainer by filling out the form to request more information or by calling 800-795-3294
This program’s officially approved title is Cat Management and Training. However for grammatical reasons and purposes of clarity it is sometimes referred to as the Cat Training Program and Cat Training Course.Please note: Animal Behavior College does not guarantee employment after graduation. *Additional shipping and handling charges may apply.