If you love animals, a Los Angeles dog training career could be the perfect blend of work and pleasure for you. In order to be successful as a Los Angeles dog trainer, however, you need a solid education that gives you all the skills needed to train dogs properly. The right credentials are also crucial in order to show dog owners that you are a true professional.
There are numerous schools that offer some kind of obedience training or lessons in animal behavior, but these aren’t all created equal. Some local programs may be taught by Los Angeles dog trainers who aren’t properly certified themselves, while other classes may only scratch the surface of what you need to know.
How do you choose the right school in order to get the most out of your education and jump-start your Los Angeles dog training career? There are several key elements you should look for that ensure you’re enrolling in the best possible dog training program:
- Look for a program that has a solid reputation. Nothing is as powerful as word of mouth. Do other pet professionals recognize the program or recommend it? Talk to trainers, dog walkers, groomers, and veterinarians in the Los Angeles area to see if they’ve heard about the program you’re enrolling in.
- Look for a school that has multiple locations. You may want to be a Los Angeles dog trainer, but a school with multiple locations outside of LA means the program works well everywhere in the country, so your education will go with you wherever you travel.
- Be sure the instructors are experienced, certified trainers. Book learning is important, but nothing takes the place of the experience and hands-on knowledge you’ll learn from other trainers and animal behavior specialists.
- Check out the website of any Los Angeles dog training schools you are considering. If the website is extensive, with lots of helpful information and a clear, detailed outline of the program, you’re on the right track.
- Finally, be sure you’ll get a comprehensive education that covers a variety of training methods, including operant conditioning, positive reinforcement, luring, shaping, capturing and other proven training methods. There is no single way to train all dogs, and a broad-based curriculum means you will be able to work successfully with dogs of all temperaments and backgrounds.
There are many Los Angeles dog training schools to choose from. Keeping the tips outlined above in mind will enable you to find the one that teaches you everything you need to know to become a successful Los Angeles dog trainer.