By Steven Appelbaum, ABC President & CEO
Hello everyone. I hope you are all healthy, happy and safe.
What a year! I remember sitting at my computer about this time last year and pondering what 2020 might hold. December 2019 seems like an exceedingly long time ago. I don’t think anyone will disagree with my desire for 2021 to be much calmer and safer for everyone.
A Shout-Out to our Mentors
First, a special thanks to all our mentors who worked with students during this tumultuous year. It is hard enough managing a business, but to do so against the backdrop of shutdowns, safety concerns and the insanity that accompanied this pandemic is quite extraordinary. I do not want any mentors to think for a moment that I—and everyone at ABC—do not appreciate their contributions to our students’ success. Thank you for your continuing hard work and dedication!!
Despite the pandemic, program enrollments in 2020 were the strongest they have been in more than 6 years. The most popular was the Veterinary Assistant Program, followed by the Dog Obedience Instructor Training Program, Grooming Instruction Program, Aquarium Maintenance Program, Cat Training Program and Zookeeper Assistant Program. In my opinion, the zookeeper program will be in the top four by the end of 2021.
Throughout next year, ABC will:
- Begin a complete rewrite and design of our Grooming Program curriculum. This is relevant to all GIP alumni as you will have access to the updated course.
- Increase staffing for our program manager and externship coordinator department and teams. This will provide an even better student-ABC instructor experience.
- Start developing a service dog trainer program
- Increase our focus on the Canadian market
- Research and select countries outside of North America to launch some of our existing programs
I will keep you informed of our progress as next year unfolds.
Happy Holidays Everyone!