ABC Grooming Instruction Program Student of the Month– April 2013
Blake Hernandez lives in San Francisco, where he works full time as head groomer at a local grooming shop. Blake has been grooming for about 2½ months since his externship. He offers many different services, including cat grooming. His future plans are to become a certified master groomer and open up his own shop, as well as become a breeder.
- Was grooming your first choice for a career?
No, I originally wanted to be a gemologist and jeweler. However, every time the thought of working with animals came to mind, I always thought of grooming.
- What animal or person most inspired you to pursue a career in the animal industry?
My dog Fiona; she is a fifth- generation AKC-registered lab. Her mama passed when she was only three weeks old, so I took her in and bottle and spoon fed her until she was old enough. Then that’s when the nail painting started, and I think it all snowballed from there.
- When and how did you know that you’d be a success in the pet industry?
When people gush over how beautiful I make their dogs look.
- What was the biggest challenge you have faced during your externship and how did you overcome it?
His name was Cheetoh and he was a crazy 6-lb. mix breed that just needed a puppy cut, but was so squirmy and tiny I thought I was going to breakdown and cry. Thankfully, I was still in my externship and my mentor helped me through it.
- If you could style a dog or cat after any celebrity, who would it be and why?
President Obama, because he has a dog who gets national attention, and I want national attention as a groomer.