Learn How to Become a Dog Trainer in 2022
If you’re interested in working with animals and wondering how to become a dog trainer in 2022, you will be happy to know that learning the in’s and out’s of the profession has never been more accessible. Dog training is a great career–it keeps you on your feet (and your toes!). If you are so inclined, becoming a dog trainer is an excellent opportunity to start your own business; and you get to work with all the dogs! Sweet!
In the past, the path to a dog obedience training career could be pretty murky. You had to live near an actual school or find a professional trainer who was willing to teach you. Barring that, you practiced training techniques with your own dog or your friends’ and families’ dogs using methods you learned from a book. When you felt competent, you hung out a shingle and hoped for the best–not an ideal situation for would-be trainers or clients (not to mention dogs).
Fortunately, online learning programs have opened a clear route for anyone wanting to enter the dog obedience training profession. Recognized online certification programs make it easier to get great training and also make it easier for anyone wanting to hire a reputable trainer to actually find one. With no federal requirements in place for dog obedience trainers, pet owners have to be really careful to whom they entrust their animals.
5 Advantages of the ABC Dog Obedience Training Program
Animal Behavior College has been certifying dog trainers for more than two decades, and there are many reasons to consider the ABC Dog Obedience Instructor Training Program:
- Steve Appelbaum, had two decades of dog training experience before founding ABC in 1998. As an expert trainer, his special insight into the profession has enabled him to hone a curriculum that best prepares students for a successful career.
- ABC’s certification program is designed for completion in as little as12 months. This means that you do not have to commit years of your life to preparing for a career. You can be a working trainer in one year.
- ABC graduates get plenty of real world experience in addition to online coursework. The externship program pairs students with one of the thousands of local mentors who partner with the school. Students have the opportunity to put their newfound skills to the test working with individual dogs under the guidance of a professional trainer.
- ABC’s online program offers so much flexibility and can be completed anywhere, anytime as long as you have a reliable internet connection.
- ABC teaches you the skills necessary to open your own dog training business. Dog training can be an excellent full time job or a side gig, but many people want to be their own boss. ABC helps graduates succeed by providing the necessary knowledge and tools. Alumni of the program have access to a low-cost turnkey website, business forms and templates, and other resources. Alumni benefits also include a profile on ABC’s exclusive dog trainer directory.
Make a Difference One Pup at a Time
Turn your passion for dogs into a great career by becoming a trainer. By doing so, you can change not only your own life but the lives of the animals with which you work. Teaching puppies and dogs basic obedience ensures them a good shot at leading their best lives and makes the lives of their owners so much less chaotic! With a well-behaved dog, everybody wins!