Many owners like giving their special four footed family member a special treat. However, there are many foods that harmful to your pets. You can always check with your local veterinary assistant
for foods you should not give your pets.
Alcoholic beverages: can cause intoxication, coma and death.
Avocado: may cause pancreatitis and fluid accumulation in abdomen, chest and heart.
Baby Food: could contain onion powder which is toxic to dogs and cats.
Bones (fish, poultry, or other meats): could cause obstruction or lacerations in digestive system.
Caffeine: May be toxic and cause vomiting, restlessness, and even death within several hours.
Cat Food: too high in protein and fats for dogs.
Chocolate: Contains caffeine. Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death depending upon amount ingested. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is to pets. Symptoms may not show up for several hours with death following within 24 hours.
Egg Whites (raw): will deplete your dog of biotan which can cause hair loss, weakness, growth retardation, or skeleton deformity.
Fat trimmings: can cause pancreatitis.
Fruit pits and seeds: contain cyanide, which is poisonous.
Grapes and raisins: As little as a single serving may cause kidney failure in dogs and / or death.
Gum, candies or anything sweetened with Xylitol (artificial sweetener): low dose will increase insulin in body and may cause weakness, vomiting, staggering and seizures. High dose will bring onset of liver failure and death.
Ham and Bacon: way too much fat content which could cause pancreatitis.
Human vitamins: may damage the lining of digestive system and be toxic to liver and kidneys.
Liver (raw or cooked): could lead to vitamin A toxicity.
Macadamia nuts: an unknown toxic is contained in macadamia nuts which could affect the nervous and digestive systems and muscles. It may also cause weakness, muscle tremors and paralysis.
Marijuana: will depress the nervous system causing vomiting and change the heart rate.
Milk or other daily products: Could result in diarrhea.
Mushrooms: could contain toxins which could cause shock, and result in death. Wild mushrooms can cause drooling, liver and kidney damage, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, coma and death.
Nutmeg: possible tremors, seizures and death
Onion and / or garlic (any form): could damage red blood cells which would cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs.
Raw yeast dough: Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.
Salt & salty foods: If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.
Tea leaves: contain caffeine. This may be toxic and cause vomiting, restlessness, and even death within several hours.