Veterinary Assistant Requirements
Our NAVTA-approved veterinary assistant school lets you turn your passion for helping animals into a rewarding career learn the requirements necessary to become a more attractive job candidate.
Ours is one of only a few online programs to be approved by the National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA).
Learn more about our program by calling 800-795-3294.
Designed to prepare you for a career working with animals, our program teaches you everything from exam room prep and surgical procedure to small animal health care. After successful completion of the prior stages, you’ll then be placed in a veterinary environment to complete your externship.
Our Veterinary Assistant Program makes it possible to:
- Get your post-secondary education online
- Acquire practical skills you can apply in real-life settings
- Receive Pet CPR and First Aid Certification
- Experience what it’s like to work in a veterinary hospital
- Receive ongoing student support
- Invest in your future doing what you love
- Receive digital study materials and ABC scrubs
- Earn your vet assistant certification
Switching careers doesn’t necessarily mean you quit your day job to return to school. Our online coursework fits easily into any schedule. Make your childhood dream of helping animals a reality at ABC. Contact 800-795-3294 for more information.
Why enroll in any other program when you can learn at a NAVTA-approved vet assistant school? Our curriculum is annually reviewed by registered veterinary technicians who have had decades of experience working with animals. Given the high regard, the veterinary community has for the NAVTA approval, getting your ABC veterinary assistant certification may be the right step toward your career.
Real World Training & Mentorship
Experience is an important component of our program. We have relationships with more than 4,000 veterinary facilities across the U.S. and Canada. This allows us to arrange local externships for our students, providing the opportunity to receive on-the-job training experience.
During your externship, you’ll be given the opportunity to interact with professionals in the veterinary industry and have real world experiences with animals. Hundreds of mentors in veterinary offices across the country partner with ABC.
Tuition & Financing
Tuition ranges from
$2,999 $2,795 USD to $5,630 USD, depending on your chosen payment plan.* This cost covers all learning materials, including the real world training externship.
*Ask about our discount for Active Military and Veterans who enroll in our distance learning courses
Military Spouses May Qualify for Free Tuition
Are you a military spouse? You may receive up to $4,000 toward your tuition costs, including course materials and externship. ABC has years of experience working with military spouses and we understand the importance of a portable career. Learn if you qualify for this educational benefit through Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) by calling Animal Behavior College directly at 800-795-3294.
Flexible Schedule & Online Study
Learning can be easy when you can access the entire curriculum online. Complete our veterinary assistant course no matter where you live within the United States or Canada. One of the best parts of our online program is you can study on your own time. Flexible scheduling may afford you the opportunity to keep your job, balance home life and pursue certification.
Always Located Near You
No matter where you live, or where you’re transferred to within the U.S. or Canada, Animal Behavior College is available to you. Given our network of over 4,000 veterinary facilities, we’re able to offer you this real-world training experience.
Student Support From Professionals In The Field
Stay on track with the help, guidance and support of your ABC Program Manager. Each Program Manager is a Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) who has years of personal on-the-job working experience in a veterinary facility. In your one-on-one working relationship with your Program Manager, you can benefit from their years of animal handling and veterinary experience.
Veterinary Assistant Certification
Upon successful completion of the program, you’ll become an Animal Behavior College Veterinary Assistant (ABCVA). Certification through our NAVTA-approved program demonstrates your knowledge in the veterinary field to potential employers. ABC’s program is approved by The Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT).
Animal Behavior College prepares you for a career in the veterinary field. You’ll learn the fundamentals and requirements necessary to work in a veterinary hospital or clinic then you will gain real world experience during youir externship.
- Stage 1 Office Etiquette & Hospital Procedures: Explains the various roles of each veterinary team member.
- Stage 2 Animal Restraint: Teaches you the fundamentals and fine points of animal restraint.
- Stage 3 Examination Room Procedures: Covers basic examination room preparation as well as patient background and physical examination procedures.
- Stage 4 Pharmacy & Pharmacology: Explains the fundamentals of an in-house veterinary pharmacy.
- Stage 5 Surgical Preparation & Assisting: Describes your responsibilities before, during and after a surgical procedure.
- Stage 6 Small Animal Nursing: Covers the fundamentals of small animal nursing.
- Stage 7 Laboratory Procedures: Explains basic laboratory procedures.
- Stage 8 Radiology & Ultrasound Imaging: Instructs you on proper radiology and ultrasound techniques as a means of diagnoses.
- Stage 9 Career Building: Provides you career advice you can apply to possibly secure a solid veterinarian assistant position.
- Stage 10 Externship: Gives you invaluable on-the-job training experience at a veterinary hospital.
- Stage 11 Final Exam & Graduation
Pave the Way to a Veterinary Assistant Career Today
Animals are always in need of your help and some employers may welcome job applicants certified through a NAVTA-approved program. You can make a difference in the lives of animals. Stop dreaming and start doing.
Please note: Animal Behavior College does not guarantee employment after graduation.
*Additional shipping and handling charges may apply.
Veterinary Assistant Career Resources
Career Information and Advice for Vet Assistants from the professionals at Animal Behavior College