By ADPT Staff
APDT has more than 27 years’ experience in providing dog trainer education programs that range from how to manage your own dog training business to dealing with aggression and separation anxiety in dogs. The APDT website also offers resources for your clients to peruse, with topics that range from puppy training to understanding dog park etiquette. APDT members are also listed in our “Locate a Trainer” search engine, available for dog owners to search by ZIP code for certified dog trainers who use positive-reinforcement methods.
APDT’s Online Certificate Courses are designed to provide in-depth education on specific topics. Students attend online lectures, participate in online discussions with fellow classmates and work on homework assignments. Courses are designed to be challenging and thought provoking. Students who successfully complete the course(s) will have tangible, applicable materials and resources that can immediately be applied to their businesses. For example, APDT’s 2020 online certificate courses included:
- Aggression and the Law: What Trainers Need to Know (12 CEUs) presented by Heidi Meinzer, JD, CPDT-KA, CNWI
- Top Dog: Lessons from Dog Training for the Entrepreneur (16 CEUs) presented by Megan Stanley, CPDT-KSA, CBCC-KA
- Advanced Learning Theory: An Advanced Look at How Animals Learn (20 CEUs) presented by Kristina Spaulding, Ph.D., CAAB.
- Covering All Your Bases: How to Legally Protect Your Business (20 CEUs) presented by Heidi Meinzer, JD, CPDT-KA, CNWI
- Dog Training 101: What All Beginning Trainers Should Know (20 CEUs) presented by Sarah Filipiak, CDBC
- Comparative Psychology and Cognition (20 CEUs) presented by Alexandra Protopopova, Ph.D., CPDT-KA
Webinars are available 24/7 on demand and are 1 to 3 hours long. Certificate courses (formerly multiweek courses) have start and end dates, and are offered various times of the year. There are two purchasing options for certificate courses. The first: You can audit, which only gives you access to each week’s lecture, and some do NOT offer CEUs. The second option is to purchase as a full student; you have access to each lecture, required homework assignments and discussion board posts, and CEUs. Webinars expire 90 days after purchase date. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com, or call 800-738-3647. For more information on resources available, click on APDT Resource Center. Available webinars in 2020 included:
- A Dog’s View of the World
- Accelerate Your Business with Dog Ability with Trevor Smith, CPDT-KA and Gerry Brown
- Antler Shed Dogs: An Intro to the Newest Dog Sport
- Are you Prepared if Disaster Strikes?
- Be a Better Teacher, Be A Better Trainer: Intro to Teaching Basics
- Beat the Clock: Shave Time off Work, Create More Margin in Life
- Becoming A Dog Trainer: What You Need to Know
- Beware of the Dog (3-part series)
- Calm Focus 24/7
- Clicker Training 101
- Collaborating with a Veterinary Behaviorist
- Creating Good Customer Service
- Daycare 2.0: What’s the Future of Daycare and How to Stay Ahead of the Pack
- Dominance: Myth or Fact? A Detailed Look at What the Science Says
- Efficacy and Preference for Different Human Interaction in Domestic Dogs
- Fear Free: Be the Change
- Furry Funding: Fundraising and Grant Basics for Shelters and Rescues
- Hiking and Walking with Your Dog: First-aid tips on how to have fun and be safe on the trails
- How Animals Learn
- How to Legally Protect Your Business During and After COVID-19
- Just the Mouth
- Learning Theory 101: Introduction to How Animals Learn with Kristina Spaulding, Ph.D., CAAB (audit only)
- Natural Methods to Positive Behavior
- Navigating the Wild West of Service Dogs with Veronica Sanchez
- Principles of Dog Nutrition
- So You Want to Be a Dog Trainer?
- Social Media 101 with Trevor Smith, CPDT-KA and Therese Kopiwoda
- Soft Skills for Professional Dog Trainers
- Starting Your Dog Biz
- Teaching a Group Dog Class 101
- The Business of Classes
- The Cognitive Canine: Incorporating Training into Your Classes
- Thinking Outside the Box: Add Another Tool to Your Toolbox
- Understanding Dog-Dog Reactivity
- Understanding Dogs Through Body Language and Behavior
- Understanding LIMA (Least Intrusive, Minimally Aversive)
How do I get my CEUs Issued?
Once you have finished a webinar or certificate course and would like your CEUs issued to CCPDT, please email firstname.lastname@example.org a copy of your certificate of completion with your CCPDT certificate number. For IAABC, email your certificate of completion and a validation code will be sent back to you to submit to the organization. For all other organizations, submit your certificate of completion to them (ABC, KPA, IACP) for CEUs.