January’s Grooming Instruction Program Student Of The Month – 2013
ABC Grooming Instruction Program Student of the Month– January 2013
Lisa Deoppe completed her externship with the experienced ABC mentors at Centerville Animal Hospital located in Chesapeake, Va.. At the hospital’s salon, she was able to work alongside professionals while honing her grooming skills. Lisa currently runs an in-home grooming business and doesn’t turn any pets away. Her fully functional salon offers a variety of services in a relaxed environment. Lisa is excited about growing the business and enhancing her pet grooming techniques.
- When and how did you know that you’d be a success in the pet industry? All my life! I have always had a love for animals and when you have so much passion for a job it becomes much more than just work. Grooming just came naturally to me and I knew that I had chosen the right profession.
- What was the biggest challenge you have faced during your externship and how did you overcome it? I had to drive 50 miles back and forth to my externship location. Even though I had to commute, the knowledge I gained was worth the additional travel time. Nothing replaces hands-on experience, especially when you are learning to groom.
- What knowledge and experiences have you gained from becoming an ABC certified pet groomer? I have had the opportunity to learn many different skills that I use at my salon on a daily basis. Thanks to ABC and my grooming mentors, I am able to identify different coat types and the proper way to groom each one.
- What are your plans for the future? I will be moving to Tulsa, Okla., the second-largest city in the state, where I hope to build my grooming business within the next 6 months.
- What grooming technique do you hope to master during the next 12 months? I hope to improve my shave downs in the next year.