December – Grooming Instruction Program Student Of The Month – 2013
ABC Grooming Instruction Program Student of the Month
Darline Jackie Griffin
Darline Jackie Griffin lives in Des Arc, Ark., and is in the process of completing her externship. She has been working with her mentor on a daily basis since October 2013. Jackie (as she prefers to be called) decided last year to pursue this career because of her love and passion for animals. Prior to attending the ABC grooming program, she worked as a carpenter for 10 years, ran a dairy bar and was also a private caregiver. Jackie loves working with her mentor and is thrilled that she gets to work with animals every day.
- What animal or person most inspired you to pursue a career in the animal industry?
Michelle Harris, a good friend of mine, inspired me to work in this field. She also assisted me with preparing my resume so that I could to present myself in a professional manner in order to begin my externship. Michelle and I have been friends for about 4 years now.
- When and how did you know you’d be a success in the pet industry?
I knew I would be a success in the pet industry when I realized that people will always spend their time and resources on their pets. I have always had a love for animals and feel that since I started working with Trudy, my mentor, I will be very successful and fulfilled.
- What knowledge and experiences have you gained from becoming an ABC certified pet groomer?
I have learned from my mentor the proper techniques to grooming as well as how to deal with clients.
- What was the biggest challenge you have faced during your externship and how did you overcome it?
The biggest challenge I am now facing is how to up my pace. I am fairly new at grooming and am working on becoming faster and more proficient groomer.
- What are your plans for the future?
To either work at a grooming shop, specifically Golden Touch (my externship location) or to have my own shop in my hometown.
- If you could style a dog or cat after any celebrity, who would it be and why?
If I could style my dog after any celebrity, I would style it after Lady Gaga due to her versatility. For example, I could give the dog a Mohawk and color its hair in a variety of ways if asked to do so.